Monday, May 17, 2010

Ol' Fiddle Face

I really want to like Treme, but Fiddle Face is making it difficult for me:



That face she makes when she plays is hard to look at. I know I am being melodramatic but seriously, I look away when she is writhing with her fiddle and bow. Or flip side, I can't avert my gaze and then I cringe at her facial expressions.

Initially I thought she was making the face because she was pretending to play her violin and that was her way of acting like a musician. Then I read that the actress who plays Annie the fiddler player, Lucia Micarelli, is a trained concert violinist. So I stand corrected.

I'll continue to watch Treme, though. Last night marked the sixth episode of the premiere season, and the shows intricate story lines are picking up. Last week, when the police officer that Toni was confronting about Antoine's stolen trombone, he said, "the wheels are off the cart...and the crime is coming back and we ain't ready. But you want to talk about a trombone." Toni's face after absorbing his comment said it all: things are about to get grimy.

I don't read any spoilers for Treme so I'm not sure what is on the horizon for Annie, but knowing Treme's creator David Simon and his affinity for getting r id of well liked characters on The Wire, I think her future is grim. Last night's episode where her boyfriend slapped her reinforced my opinion about this, but it's just a guess.

This site breaks down and explains the idiosyncrasies and local inside expressions and references regarding New Orleans and the show Treme. Once again David Simon weaves a tight and cohesive story, and that's no surprise at all.

0 notes:

Post a Comment